Blount Memorial Patient Financial Policies
Helpful information about patient accounts and hospital billing practices
We are committed to making your experience at Blount Memorial as positive and stress-free as possible. Click on the links below to learn more about your billing statements, our billing practices, and other helpful billing and payment resources.
Blount Memorial Hospital Patient Billing
Important information about hospital and physician statements, insurance claims and Medicare coverage
Blount Memorial Hospital charges are based on the type of service you receive and the complexity of your care. To request an estimate for a specific planned service or procedure provided at Blount Memorial Hospital, including out-of-pocket expenses, please call the Eligibility Team at 865-980-4960. If you would like a list of all hospital charges, please email us at BMHPricing@bmnet.com
Bills are prepared and sent on a daily basis. As a service to our patients, Blount Memorial bills insurance providers directly. By assigning all insurance benefits to Blount Memorial during the registration process, you can ensure that the hospital will be able to bill your provider on your behalf and receive payments to apply to your account.
For all hospital services scheduled in advance, Blount Memorial will provide:
- Verification of insurance benefits
- Advanced notification of benefit coverage
- Pre-authorization of your scheduled procedure in cooperation with your physician
Numbers to Know
For information about insurance billing or other patient financial matters, call:
- Admitting Office (pre-admission) – 865-977-5559
- Registration (outpatient services) – 865-981-2200
- Patient Accounts Office (after hospital discharge) – 865-977-5522
Patients play an important role in the billing process. To help ensure prompt insurance payments and accurate billing, follow these guidelines.
- Supply accurate billing information during patient registration.
- Stay in contact with your insurance carrier until your claim is resolved.
- The hospital will not file insurance for you if information is supplied after timely filing limits.
- You are responsible for payment of any account balance not paid by your insurance provider. The amount you owe may include non-covered services, deductible, co-payment and coinsurance balances.
Insurance plans and payments vary widely and can be affected by many factors. If insurance issues are not resolved, your insurance will not pay for your care. Contact your insurance provider directly with any questions regarding your coverage or requirements. To locate your insurance company’s website, check your policy handbook or insurance identification card, or call your health insurance representative.
Remaining Balance: Any portion of your hospital bill that your insurance provider will not pay is your responsibility. Learn more about Blount Memorial’s Payment Options.
Uninsured Patients: If you do not have insurance, the hospital requires a pre-admission deposit and payment of your account. Learn more about Blount Memorial’s Self Pay policies.
Supplemental and Secondary Coverage: Supplemental and secondary insurance plans, including Medicare with supplemental insurance, require proof that the primary insurance has paid before processing a claim. This may delay your final billing. If your supplemental or secondary plan does not pay your claim, you will receive a statement from Blount Memorial. If you receive a bill that you believe your supplemental insurance should pay, call the hospital’s Business Office at 865-977-5522 or 1-800-448-0219.
Medicare Patients–Self-Administered Medications: During outpatient treatment, patients may be given medication that Medicare considers self-administered. Medicare defines self-administered drugs as medications the patient could, in another setting, take without help. Under Medicare Part A (inpatient), drugs are covered when provided during acute inpatient stays if Medicare requirements are met. Under Medicare Part B (outpatient, emergency department and observation hospital stays), drug coverage is limited to medications that typically are not self-administered.
For additional information about your Medicare coverage, visit www.medicare.gov or call:
- General Information: 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-663-4227)
- Coordination of Benefits: 1-800-999-1118
Other Bills Related To Your Blount Memorial Visit
In addition to the bill you receive from Blount Memorial, you may receive statements from billing companies for consultations, treatments and other services rendered by the physicians who helped with your care. These doctors, including radiologists, pathologists, anesthesiologists and emergency department physicians, are not Blount Memorial employees. If you have any questions about these bills or the services provided, call the contact number listed on each statement.
Blount Memorial Hospital Patient Self Pay
Important policies and helpful resources for self-pay patients
Blount Memorial patients who are uninsured or who fail to provide the hospital with accurate billing information within timely filing limits are responsible for the full payment of their total bill.
Unpaid balances, including co-payment, co-insurance, deductible and any non-covered services, are the responsibility of the patient/guarantor and must be paid by the due date listed on the Hospital Statement.
Every patient/guarantor is expected to contribute financially to the cost of their care based on their individual ability to pay. Before hospital admission or outpatient service, or upon discharge from the hospital, patients may be required to pay a deposit on estimated charges for services that are scheduled, not covered or not insured.
Financial Assistance and Discounts
Blount Memorial recognizes that unexpected medical problems can cause financial difficulties. Our patient account representatives and financial counselors can help patients and their families review their available payment resources. The review includes exploring these assistance programs available through the hospital:
- Uninsured Self-Pay Discounts are applied automatically to bills for non-elective, medically necessary services when it has been determined that the patient is not covered by a health insurance plan and is not eligible to submit a claim through a liability insurance plan or other source of coverage.
- Prompt Pay Discounts are available for bills paid in full within 30 days of the first billing statement. Pre-approval is required to receive the discount. For more information, call a customer service representative Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at 865-977-5522 or 1-800-448-0219.
- Financial Assistance is available to patients who have limited resources for payment. Eligibility is based on income and asset information provided by the patient/guarantor. Patients may be required to complete an application and provide support documentation for review. For more information, call a customer service representative Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at 865-977-5522 or 1-800-448-0219.
- Charity Care is available to patients who have no resources for payment. Read the hospital’s Charity Care Policy online, and then call a customer service representative Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at 865-977-5522 or 1-800-448-0219.
Blount Memorial Business Office Customer Service
Call us with questions related to billing, insurance and patient accounts.
Blount Memorial Hospital is committed to providing excellent service to our patients and their families. As part of this commitment, the hospital’s Business Office has customer service representatives available to assist you Monday–Friday from 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.* To speak with a customer service representative, call 865-977-5522 or 1-800-448-0219.
* After hours, leave a voicemail message. A representative will return your call the next business day.
Blount Memorial Patient Payment Options
Helpful information about how to pay your hospital bill
Blount Memorial Hospital accepts personal checks, money orders, cash and most major credit and debit cards, including MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover.
For your convenience, the hospital offers four easy payment options:
- Telephone–Call a customer service representative at 865-977-5522.
- In person–Visit the cashier in the Business Office located on the ground floor of the hospital.
- Mail–Use the return envelope included in your hospital statement.
- Online–Select Pay Your Bill Online to pay your bill immediately through our secure online bill payment site.
Payment Due Dates
Payment for scheduled procedures and services must be made prior to or on the day of service. For all non-elective procedures and services, co-payment and deductible payments are expected at the time of service.
Full payment of the amount you owe is expected by the due date listed on your Hospital Statement. Your account will be considered delinquent after 60 days and may be reviewed for further collection action. If your current circumstances make it impossible for you to pay your bill in full at this time, Blount Memorial has established guidelines for shot-term, interest-free payments. For more information, call our customer service team at 865-977-5522.
Blount Memorial Patient Accounts Forms
Helpful billing, insurance and financial assistance forms for patients
After downloading, printing and completing any of the forms below, place in a stamped envelope and mail to:
Blount Memorial Hospital
907 E. Lamar Alexander Parkway
Maryville, TN 37804-5016
Attention: Patient Accounts Department
To send a form via e-mail, scan the completed form and send to email@example.com.