Inpatient and outpatient behavioral health treatment and programs
The Blount Memorial Emotional Health & Recovery Center offers adults in East Tennessee around-the-clock access to confidential behavioral health assessments, treatment and referrals.
For more information or to schedule an assessment or appointment, call the Emotional Health & Recovery Center at 865-981-2300.
Learn more about our services using the list below:
Our specially designed, 16-bed inpatient unit offers the safety and security of 24-hour care for acutely ill and at-risk adults. Patients can be admitted 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Specific programs include:
- Adult Crisis Stabilization: This program is designed for adults who are in crisis, suicidal and/or homicidal, require detoxification from alcohol and/or other drugs, or who require medical stabilization and management for psychiatric problems. Care planning is coordinated with the patient's primary care physician, outpatient therapist, referral source and employer benefits manager. Most patients stay three to seven days.
- Geriatric Stabilization: Specific interventions address the unique concerns of older adults and their families. We provide crisis intervention, assessment, treatment and stabilization for geriatric patients who are in crisis due to prolonged depression or other psychiatric problems, experiencing losses in memory and orientation, having adverse reactions to medications or medical procedures, showing changes in memory and/or behavior, or having trouble caring for themselves on a daily basis. Typically, the program is structured for a seven- to 10-day stay.
- Partial Hospitalization: Designed to prevent hospitalization, shorten an inpatient stay, or to transition patients between inpatient and outpatient treatment, this program provides intensive care Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Individualized treatment plans enable patients to focus on their treatment goals, and to continue this process when transitioning to a lesser level of care. Average length of stay is seven to 14 days.
- Intensive Outpatient Program: This afternoon program can help patients as they become more stable in their behavioral health recovery process or can serve as an alternative to a more-intense level of treatment. Patients learn and practice healthy coping skills, and work on developing active relapse prevention plans and emotional health strategies. The program runs Monday-Friday, 12:30-3:30 p.m., and the average length of stay is two to six weeks.
- EASE, Elder Assessment Service: With the guidance and expert advice of the EASE staff, families and seniors can make informed decisions about medical treatment and medications, planning for the future, immediate and long-term needs and care, housing options, and other issues related to a senior adult's physical, mental, social and functional support. Based on an individual's specific situation, the EASE case manager may arrange or provide general information, a referral to a medical specialist or a community resource, a nursing home consultation, or an appointment for a multidisciplinary EASE assessment.
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction: Through this educational training program embedded in the emerging field of mind-body medicine, participants learn how to manage stress, pain and illness more effectively. The seven-week course has shown positive results for dealing with high stress careers and major life changes, and complements medical treatment for chronic illnesses and health conditions. Courses are offered in the spring and fall.
- Parkway Psychiatric Service: Parkway Psychiatric Service is located adjacent to the hospital in the Blount Memorial Physician Office Building. Our experienced psychiatrists specialize in the evaluation and medication management of a broad spectrum of psychiatric disorders affecting adults and seniors. These include, but are not limited to, depression and bi-polar illness, obsessive-compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, management of chronic pain and adult ADHD. Appointments are available Monday-Friday.
The Emotional Health & Recovery Center staff helps patients and families deal with all of the paperwork and insurance questions related to inpatient and outpatient behavioral health care. Upon admission to any program, we offer insurance benefits checks, insurance pre-certifications, ongoing assessment, and updates with a patient's designated insurance company's benefits manager, other treatment providers and referral sources.
In addition, the center’s staff coordinates treatment to address back-to-work issues, discharge planning and long-term care plans, and provides referral to any treatment services needed within the Blount Memorial Hospital system or through another community resource.