Community Health Initiative
Help build a healthier Blount County by joining a Blount County Community Health Initiative action team.
The Blount County Community Health Initiative is the result of a 1996 state mandate requiring each Tennessee county to develop a health council, which could address issues specific to the local community. For more than a decade, the Blount County Community Health Initiative has been pursuing its mission to “identify and prioritize the health needs of the citizens of our community in order to respond to these needs and coordinate resources to promote a healthy community.” Visit BlountHealth.org for more information.
Blount Memorial Hospital and the Blount Memorial Foundation help fund the initiatives programs. In addition, the initiative procures outside grant funding to address the community’s most pressing health issues.
The initiative is comprised of a steering committee, which is chaired by Blount Memorial Community Outreach coordinator Judy Clabough and whose members include representatives from the Blount County Chamber Partners and the Blount County Health Department. The committee also includes each chairperson from the initiative’s seven volunteer action teams:
- Teen Pregnancy Prevention Action Team
- Task Force Against Domestic Violence
- Substance Abuse Prevention Action Team
- Mental Health Awareness and Suicide Prevention Team
- Blount BEneFITs, the action team committed to reducing childhood obesity and promoting physical activity
- Blount Believers,a group of local pastors and lay leaders who provide health information and promote faith communities as allies to improve the health of the community
- Environmental Health Action Team
Approximately 180 people donate their time and talents to an action team. These dedicated community volunteers represent local businesses, industries, schools, health care entities, parks and recreation organizations, the National Guard, social service agencies, faith communities, law enforcement and municipal and county governments.
New Community Health Initiative volunteers are always welcome. Volunteers are matched to the action team, which best fits their interests, professional background or life experience. To learn how you can help build a healthier Blount County as part of an action team, call Judy Clabough, community outreach coordinator at 865-977-5727.