How Your Donation Helps
Maintaining, improving and advancing medical care in East Tennessee
Charitable donations to the Blount Memorial Foundation and Community Outreach are used to help organizations and initiatives, which share the Foundation’s mission of improving the health and well-being of our entire community. These include:
- Blount Memorial Family Birthing Center: Foundation funding is used to produce and distribute Newborn Care DVDs for new parents, as well as to purchase breast pumps to loan to WIC (The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children) mothers residing in Blount County.
- Cancer Awareness Programs: The Foundation and Community Outreach funds the Profiles in Pink luncheon to celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month and National Mammography Day in October.
- Cancer Survivor Programs: The Foundation and Community Outreach sponsors special events for cancer survivors, including Cancer Survivor’s Day in June.
- Compassionate Friends
- Connie Davis Hospice Mercy Fund: Named for former hospital board member and president Connie Davis who led the effort to establish Blount Memorial Hospice in 1981, this fund provides guidance and support services for those making challenging medical decisions and/or grieving the loss of a loved one. After serving as a Blount Memorial employee and board member for several years, Davis donated her time and talents as a hospital volunteer. This special fund was named in her honor in December 2010.
- Education foundations of Blount County, Maryville and Alcoa: Grants are used to purchase equipment, technology, textbooks and other resources to enhance the science/health curriculum in local schools, and support school-based activities that promote wellness and healthy lifestyles.
- Greatest-need Fund:This Foundation and Community Outreach program serves cancer patients and their families who are struggling with finances during their diagnosis and treatment. The fund provides gas and grocery vouchers, and financial assistance to help families pay for medications, utilities and other necessities.
- Nurses C.A.R.E. (Celebrating and Remembering Excellence): This Foundation-sponsored scholarship program provides two $250 scholarships to help local nursing students pay for textbooks.
- Project HOPE Breast Cancer Patient Resource Fund: This fund is supported by a community grant from Susan G. Komen for the Cure in partnership with the Blount Memorial Foundation and Community Outreach, and the Hope for Today Cancer Support Group. The fund awards financial assistance to eligible breast cancer patients. This assistance can be used to pay for the breast cancer patient’s complementary/alternative therapies; groceries; health insurance premiums and co-payments; household expenses; lymphedema therapy; medications; prosthetics, bras and wigs; rent or mortgage; and transportation expenses.
- Resource Guides: Foundation funds are used to design and produce important community health resource guides. Current titles include a diabetes management guide and a smoking cessation guide. Both are available free of charge to community members.
For more information about the Blount Memorial Foundation and Community Outreach or to make a tax-deductible contribution, call executive director Jane Andrews at 865-977-5727.